The Iyoba Idia Profile Oversize Pewter (Polished) Pendent
- This is a large and bold wearable expression of African culture & heritage.
- The mask design is an iconic piece of 16th century African Art (Kingdom of Benin).
- The mask is the likeness of Iyoba Idia – an African Woman, leader, warrior, and inspiration.
- This oversize pendant makes a real statement about Africa, African art, and African people
- This pendant brings Edo & Nigerian heritage into the full public view.
- Ethically created
This pendant is cast in polished pewter. It is Silver coloured - but much lighter in weight than sterling silver. The pendent celebrates the phenomenal Iyoba Idia who hailed from the Kingdom of Benin during the 16th century (now in modern day Nigeria). The pendent is unisex, and comes with a 22inch chain. The mask measures approximately 3.1cm (w) and 7.7cm (h).
This pendant is a bold modern interpretation of the image of Iyoba Idia – Queen Mother of the 16th century Kingdom of Benin. The original bronze casting is one of the renowned Benin Bronze artworks. Many similar pieces were looted in a brutal punitive raid by the British (some of which are still captive at the British Museum).
The Benin Bronzes and related works shattered the myths that African art was only primitive. It sent a clear message that African art was well capable of being just as sophisticated, or even more so, than European art.
Iyoba Idia - warrior, politician, spiritual leader, adept politician, and protector of the Edo people. She was also known as the "The Hidden Oba" and remains a giant of true leadership. For more information see: